Difficult emotions are strong feelings that deeply capture a corner of our heart and mind with lasting memories. Associated with it the occasional disturbance of our mental peace with sudden popping up of negative feelings. There remain many such emotions that we generally don’t want to recall, and we feel all sorts of unwelcome feelings be it anger, shame, guilt so on. We run from such emotions and with that advantage they chase us for a lifetime, sometimes overpowering us and shaking us and breaking us to the core.
Working and conquering those emotions is necessary to make ourselves free, and at peace. It may be terrifying, annoying even painful. But facing them, confronting them and settling them is the only way out of them. Nicholas Sparks said, ‘ The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it’.
Meditation is the only way to get a way out of the unpleasant emotions. It helps you to consider emotions as a base of meditation and find a sensible ending to it. It provides you with another angle to look at the occurrence and answers many of your unanswered queries. To heal the pending emotions, you must acknowledge it. It will be like getting a painful injection to cure a chronic illness. We have to reframe our thoughts, to reform the past. As Elizabeth Gilbert said, ‘ Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions’.
Let’s see how to work on it:
- Take a comfortable position and sit in one of your easy postures. Get relaxed. Keep your eyes closed or open as per your convenience. If you keep your eyes open, make sure to focus your sight on a static object, or else you can fix your sight to the floor.
- Start deep and slow breathing. Follow or count your breath. Make your mind calm and prepared to face any of your disturbing emotions. Say to yourself, ‘I am going to resolve or end my problem today’
- Now slowly and consciously bring into your mind a disturbing emotion, you want to get rid of. Try to visualise back the whole scenario or happening. You are sure to feel uncomfortable, and suffer from the associated feeling like anger, hatred, guilt, shame, even give it to tears. But hold to it. Be patient and continue taking deep breathes.
- Feel the sensations in your body, brought by the emotions. It can be a burning sensation of anger, redness of shame, lump in your throat, fearful pain in your stomach, emptiness in your heart etc. Hold to deep breathing in the entire session.
- Try to solve the unanswered questions. Seek answer to the scenario through a different angle for eg, broaden your perspective as to why you or someone else did which should not have been done. Look what was the situation or circumstances then.
- Talk to your emotions. Address your emotion saying that you are no more important for me. I am happy at my present, you have no influence over my present, and you are my past. I have left you behind.
- Breathe out the negative, saying I am breathing you out. Repeat for a few times.
- Repeat the whole meditation process little often. Try to practice the entire session, at regular intervals. In this way, you will be training your mind, that the past is no longer significant. What is important is your present moment. Gradually, you will be shedding all the unwanted past until you become light and relax.
With all the wishes for a positive and peaceful living !!
This is my 5th post ‘E’, for the ongoing #blogchatterA2Z challenge, 2019.