Diaries and beautiful notebooks have always been my favorite. And so, since school days a diary was always my common new year gift (to which I eagerly wait), regularly gifted to me by my father. I used to love scribing something or the other in my new diary. In younger age, though never actually formed a strong habit of writing a regular diary, but yes, they were a storehouse of my fantasy.
Very much later, only a couple of years back, I got to know that this communication between pen and paper has much to do in forming a good as well as strong mental health.
So, basically, journaling is the act of putting your thoughts and feelings into words. It is a way of mental and emotional release of inner feelings in the form of a written record. Writing a journal has a powerful and effective mental healing. Giving shape and form to mental turmoil, in the form of words, can do wonders to your physiological and psychological health.
Journaling has a therapeutic effect, and even many therapists include journaling as an important way to deal with emotional attacks. It forms a kind of private reflection that helps to sort out the events and problems that have occurred and answer to which must have been remained unanswered.It allows us to come to a deeper understanding of ourselves, with a different perspective on these difficulties. Journaling makes the mental immunity system strong, providing a balance to external influences. Researchers have gathered enough pieces of evidence, that journaling if done continuously for four days, at a fixed time, regularly, forms a proven clinical remedy of mental health.
Major benefits of journaling;
- Your mind gets organized and you feel emotionally sort out
- Helps you understand yourself better
- De-stress yourself from mental clumsiness
- Enhances your analytical thinking and resolves problems faster
How to start journaling?
- Develop your intentions: Yes, this is the foremost thing you have to do. Get yourself convinced and create your genuine intentions to adopt the practice. Know its benefits, and strengthen your interest and willpower in carrying forward the habit. Just like any other, the habit of journaling also requires dedication and discipline.
- Choose your journal type: There are various types of journaling you can adopt. You can choose to record your happenings in day to day basis, the daily highlights, your encountered feelings, and engagements, etc. An important form of journaling is the gratitude journaling, where you write about all the good and positive things of your life, with a sense of gratefulness in heart. Likewise, you can maintain motivational quotes journal, creative journal, hobby journal, etc. Anything and any type, no matter what, it is sure to act positively for your mind.
- Fix a time: Maintain a schedule for this. Avoid distractions and be committed. Try to stick to your time table. Initially, put some extra effort to pull yourself into the schedule, which will later spontaneously come out of you. Consistency in your attempt will provide you definite results.
- Start small: Don’t go for the long description, in the beginning, and it is also okay to start with highlighting points. It is always good to start small. With a fixed schedule always try to keep a time slot of maximum 15 to 20 mints. In this way, your interest remains intact in the newly adopted habit, and also it does not call for more time in our daily busy lives. In case you like to illustrate your feelings, you can to write journals at the weekend. In this way, you can give enough time in making it a lasting and impactful habit for you.
- Don’t judge yourself: Just write, there is no one to judge you, neither you yourself. Your emotions and opinions don’t stand for any judgment, it entirely you are personal. Be unbiased to your feelings, and pour your heart out. There is no particular right way. Adopt your way, your style, and your words. Remember that you are writing for yourself. Maintain its privacy, and it is perfectly okay if you scratch your writings, cut your words down, in the course of your emotional overflow.
- Review your writing: Give date entries and make a review work of your journal, after a certain interval, say give a weekly, or monthly read. By going this, you will always feel an impulse to write down and have a complete journal at the end of the week or month. Moreover, it also helps you to evaluate your own emotional development and gives you an insightful reflection about yourself.
This is my 10th post, for alphabet ‘J’, for the ongoing #blogchattera2z challenge, 2019.